Should I start?

Procrastination is not really connected to all the subject, but you know I’m writing my second full-fledged post in November, so I just won't stand myself If I don't write about it.
In this case I would need a help. When I was in my last school year I started to watch TED and not because I wanted to improve my English(still in really bad condition), but because it may seem that I was doing something worth it – it was an excuse for not studying.


In this episode of TED called “Inside the mind of a master procrastinator | Tim Urban” he obviously talks about procrastination.



A week ago I was trying to fall asleep and then he appeared – The Panic monster.

I’m pretty sure that 90% of students met him before. I remembered that I am late with all of my assignments and my blog is empty so to fall asleep I had to count the sheep in my head trying not to feel anxiety, guilt, and self-hatred.

And the shitiest part of procrastination is that you know and realize how lazy you are. Even today I entered the blog accidentally because that is how my subconscious tries to protect me from the reality, that in the first two weeks and then every week after unwillingness to admit my mistake, I'm late, I'm lazy and doing wrong stuff only gets bigger. With every class I took only the bigger a sense of shame and guilt due to inaction increases and only that day when to put off was late and already dangerous - this suspense exploded in me. I sat down and convinced myself - it's late - I'm going to do every assignment I need. I need to do it now ... and I spent a day writing one goddamn post.

It's not the first time I'm facing the fact that I'm late, it continues from the moment I started to consider myself as a human. So, quite a long time ago. If you are not procrastinator I will explain.




This guy in my brain – Rational Decision-Maker is a good one, but he gets interrupted every time he tries to work.



 Illustration of what happens in my brain for the entire life.



  

  Whenever I have a choice to do something easy and fun or whatever makes sense I will choose first option – because of …. I’m that kind of person?


I have studied the subject of procrastination for some time, some of the studies say that in some cases this procrastination thing even can be useful - you do everything within a short period driven by strong motivation, there won't be any idea of thinking and waiting for inspiration to come. You don't have any time for that. In some cases, in this suspended situation, good ideas are born. In most – not.

 You taught yourself how to avoid punishment, challenge yourself to do a thing in a few hours. 


So, most of the time I’m here:
 
In the day of each deadline I am here:
   




So you know what happens on that special day?






For me it seems to be dramatically sad situation and not even because every time I fail to do something in time I lose someone’s trust in me, but because of this:


Every box in this image depicts a week from our lives. And I already spent the third part of it watching stupid videos on YouTube and random movies on Netflix.

I wanted to say that in this world exists two types pf procrastinatination:

1.       Short term procrastination – you have a deadline to do something.
2.       Long term procrastination – you have an “infinity”(your life) to do it – The Panic Monster won’t show up because no one will punish you if you don’t start your new life from Monday, or from the 1st of January.




Comments

Popular Posts