Shining, the most creepiest movie I have seen


Shining

A week ago I was bored and searched for movies to watch. I wanted something that can fix my mood and bumped into “Shining”. I don’t like horror movies, I saw a couple, which was not scary. However, I said to myself that every movie of that kind of quality is worth watching by the person whose education is directly connected to Cinematography.  I was prepared for something frightening stocking up on sweets and tea.

Everything I knew about this movie:

1.       “Heeeere's Johnny!”


2.       “Come and play with us. Forever… And ever… And ever.”


3   3.  This bloody scene




I wasn’t sure I would like it after Kubrick Barry Lyndon (1975) the movie I also recommend to watch at least for its beautifully made visuals. He had picked up a novel called The Shining by a young up-and-coming horror author by the name of Stephen King. Stanley Kubrick and Stephen King had a lot of arguments while making Shining.

Here are some points why you should watch (if you didn’t, because I suspect myself being the last person to watch it) and like or dislike Shining.

Why did I like Shining?

    Stanley Kubrick is a master of visual images, and many of the scenes display it. Since I am studying cinematography I have this annoying habit to analyze everything that happens within frame and plot. Throughout the film, I did not let go of a feeling of tension and fear that a monster was hiding around the corner, although I understood that it was not there - the author plays with my imagination with the help of lingering music, long shots, and isolation of space. Kubrick uses convex lens shots to enhance surrealism.

 The Shining is as psychological as horror gets, toying relentlessly, and expertly with emotions and expectations, it gives us a chance to deal with our paranoia about the outside world as well as the terrors which lurk within us.

The clarity of the photography and the weird perspectives constantly hint to Jack's twisted state of mind. The supernatural elements are more elusive than the depiction of his madness. A power separate from yet intertwined with the evil that dwells in the building (the whole family will come to experience it).

 The Shining contains one of the best soundtracks in movie history. For me Shining works not even because of visuals, it works because of use of sound especially listen to the remarkable rhythm of silence then clatter set up by Danny pedaling his trike intermittently over the carpet then the wooden floor, I poorly managed to stop myself from fast-forwarding the movie by pressing the button.

I was confused by the sudden ending. I had a lot of questions about the movie and I don’t think that I have answers to all of them. Shock effect and graphic imagery don't compensate for the sense of pointlessness and even distaste that is left at the end of the movie.

  “The story was completely nonsensical. What was any of that? There's no explanation for almost everything that happens in the movie! “– this are one of my first thoughts. Like, how should I understand all of the weird stuff going on?

After watching Shining for the second time, having some knowledge what I will see I caught Kubrick idea that the – “imaginary worlds have upon us, the way certain individuals can be destroyed by their obsessions, and the slavery inherent in all of us.”

Comments

Popular Posts